Eight Ways Propane Overpowers Electric
Written on: October 4, 2021
As you wrangle over choosing electric or propane as your home-heating source, strongly consider propane, which packs several superpowers that can help keep your wallet happier. Pitmon Oil & Gas in Oklahoma is a company you can trust for prompt, reliable propane services. Here are only some of the benefits of propane vs. electric, or the Amazing Eight:
- Safety: Propane has a stout safety record, due in large part to the stringent codes and regulations developed by the propane industry and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Statistics compiled by the NFPA indicate that the safest way to heat is with gas, as propane leads the safety brigade. Learn more on our Propane Safety page.
- Efficiency: National fuel prices from the U.S. Department of Energy show that the cost of electricity is more than twice the cost of propane. Even though the purchase price of propane is higher than the electric model, propane’s high efficiencies allow a homeowner to use less energy than the appliances that run on electricity or fuel oil. The benefits of propane heat include an average efficiency of over 90%, and propane water heaters will heat up your water more quickly than their electric counterparts.
- Bottom Line: Propane is cheaper than electric when it comes to home energy. Propane water heaters generally cost 30% less to operate than electric ones or 60% less if you use a tankless propane water heater. The energy efficiency of propane means that your energy bills will be lower. And propane-powered appliances are less expensive to operate than electric appliances. So much savings! Contact us!
- Ideal for Off-the-grid Living: For people in areas where it’s difficult to get utility services, propane is a reliable fuel choice. With a tank right on your property, you don’t have to rely on your community’s supply if there’s a municipal problem. Since propane can become liquid under pressure, it’s an energy source that can be used virtually anywhere! So, it can be used and transported to many different areas, such as those beyond the reach of natural-gas mains, etc.
- Back Our National Economy: Since propane is created from natural components, natural gas and petroleum, it is readily available here in the United States. In fact, almost 90% of the propane that is used in the United States is produced right here.
- Longevity and Convenience: Propane tanks are environmentally friendly, require little maintenance, and can last up to 40 years. Propane’s portability in liquid form makes it a convenient fuel for grilling, camping, and other uses. Learn more here about these virtues of propane.
- Accessibility: Up to 56,000 miles of pipeline and more than 6,000 retail dealer locations make propane readily available throughout the United States.
- Last, But Not Least: Propane is environmentally friendly. Propane is nontoxic and insoluble in water. Because it is released as a gas, it doesn’t spill, pool, or leave a residue. Propane exhaust creates 60-70% less smog-producing hydrocarbons than gasoline, according to studies by the Southwest Research Institute. It cuts emissions of toxins and carcinogens like benzene and toluene by up to 96%.
Still not convinced? Contact the folks at Pitmon to learn more about propane’s edge over electricity to keep your family safe and sound.